Saturday, June 29, 2013

Review: The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection

Review: The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection


The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection

Posted:

The Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (New Line Platinum Series) (DVD)
By Heather Langenkamp

In Amazon.com's review of the Nightmare on Elm St. DVD box set, Halloween's Michael Myers is the "father," Friday the 13th's Jason is the "son," and NOES's Freddy Krueger is the "unholy spirit." In my opinion however, as best said by Freddy Krueger, "THIS IS GOD." I couldn't think of a better box set to be created. As a huge fan of the Nightmare on Elm ST. series (which can be seen on my reviews for the NOES 4 soundtrack on amazon.com), I was so excited to see the collection released on DVD that I bought it, then bought a DVD player so I could watch them. My friends thought I was a little nuts since I already own all 7 on VHS, but any true fan understands. Freddy isn't an icon, he's a part of history among all the greats (probably won't be taught in school but oh well). Many of today's top horror films run along the same lines as NOES where the killer(s) have personalities rather than going on a killing spree for who knows what dull reason (as so many horror films of the past exhibited). This box set does have it's small disappointments, however: NOES 5 is rated R. I have the unrated version on VHS and thought they'd use that on the DVD. And, at least on my dvd player, the labyrinth on the 8th disc has glitches but can be worked around with the chapter search. I was also surprised that scenes included in the criterion collection laserdisc of NOES 1 weren't included, i.e. the one where Nancy's mother tells Nancy that she wasn't an only child, Freddy killed her sibling years before. Yet these faults are small in contrast to what the box set does have, like interviews, behind the scenes footage, commentary, intervies, and much, much more....


Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
//PART 2